Thursday, February 09, 2006

Words of Wisdom

I thought I would share the words of Henri Cartier-Bresson from his book entitled "The World of Henri Cartier-Bresson." Here are a few quotes I thought my classmates and anyone else interested in photography might enjoy:

"Photography is an instantaneous operation, both sensory and intellectual-an expression of the world in visual terms, and also a perpetual quest and interrogation. It is at one and the same time the recognition of a fact in a fraction of a second and the rigorous arrangement of the forms visually percieved which give to that fact expression and significance."

" We must place ourselves and our camera in the right relationship with the subject, and it is in fitting the latter into the frame of the viewfinder that the problems of composition begin. This recognition, in real life, of a rhythm of surfaces, lines, and values is for me the essence of photography; composition should be a constant preoccupation, being a simultaneous coalition-an organic coordination of visual elements. Composition does not just happen; there must be a need for expression, and a substance cannot be divorced from form."

"Reality offers us a rich abundance that we have to simplify, to make a selection, but do we always choose rightly? In the course of our work we have to attain a certain discipline, an awareness of what we are about."

"In this type of photography one comes to count the strokes, rather like an umpire, but one is, alas, always an intruder. Approach the subject on tiptoe, even if it is a still life. Let your steps be velvet but your eye keen; a good fisherman does not stir up the water before he starts to fish"


I could probably post several more here, but I do not want to get carried away. I really like the one about composition; it strikes me deep down as a photographer. I may be a "photo nerd" but I feel that photography is an inseperable part of me. The times when I take the best photographs come when I feel the camera is a natural extension of myself. I "see" through the 35mm lens or the 50mm lens even when I am not holding the camera. The way I got to that point was by shooting everyday, and when I began to stop that practice I lost much of that. I really want to get back to that point this semester, I know that I can create better compositions, I just have to connect with myself. Well, that is enough rambling for one evening. I hope someone else finds some inspiration from the Cartier-Bresson quotes.

No comments: