Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Photojournal: Week 4

This week I have quite a few photos that I want to post. I will work on linking to a gallery next week, but for this update I am at home and do not have access to my school web space. First up are some baseball photos. This was my first game of the season, and I was excited. Yet, after the game I felt a little let down by myself, and sports action in general. I think I am less interested in sports in general, I don't see a sports action shot changing the way someone thinks about the world. However, they are fun to get and people love to look at them so here are my baseball photos of the week:






The next set of photos are the ones I am excited about. I went to a local boxing gym last night that I didn't even know existed until my Photojournalism instructor Cade White made a comment about a boxing gym in town. I talked to the owner, Geno, and he agreed to let me shoot some photos, and it looks like he is going to get me in free to a boxing tournament he is holding in town on March 17 or 18. The gym is non-profit, Geno does this out of his love for the sport and for kids. Ages at the gym range from middle school age kids to college students, some from my own school. Here are the images:

















These are the shots I took with my Canon digital camera, I mainly used my Leica rangefinder camera and a 50m lens. I will upload those photos when I have processed them (I ran out of fixer at 11:00 last night, so whenever I can find some more of that in town) . I really liked working with the Leica, it is unobrusive and allowed me to get close to some of the guys. Later, after I felt that I had become part of the backgroud to most of the boxers, I went to my truck and grabbed the 1D digital with 28mm lens (angle of view of a 35mm lens on my camera) for some wider shots. Some of the shots have some blur to them which was intentional. I could have boosted the ISO higher (I was already at 1250) but chose to work with sutter speeds between 1/15 and 1/60. I wanted to convey the sense of motion and activity of these boxers training. I will be going back a couple nights next week and hope after some time the guys will get used to me being there.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Hey Gary! Hope everything's going well... I must say, GREAT boxing photos. That's good stuff! The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th photos are my favorites. You captured detail, emotion, atmosphere, AND action. The only thing that's missing I'd love to see is the classic shot of one boxer smacking the other boxer in the jaw and his sweat and saliva flying off in little beads to the side... maybe next time? :-)

Emily said...

Oh, by the way, and more importantly, CONGRATS on the new kiddo!!