Thursday, July 13, 2006

While I'm here...

Sometimes while on assignment I shoot photos that I am pretty sure won't make it for the paper or don't really go along with my assignment. I take these photos because I think they are good photos, regardless of whether they fit the assignment or are not what the paper was looking for. I don't spend too much time on them, I don't want to miss a shot for my assignment, but I do look for them. Most of these are at least a couple weeks old, but thought that my friends and family (and anyone else who stumbles upon this blog) might want to see something a little different.







These first three are from the Imperial Reservoir assignment some of you may remember from nearly a month ago. I wanted to take some scenics, and thought they might look interesting in black and white instead of color as you would normally see.








These are from a trip to a local bar/rodeo arena one Sunday afternoon for bullriding.






These last two are my kids, I haven't posted any photos of them here recently so I thought I would add them on here as a special treat for any family members of mine who check this blog in the next few days. I really miss being with my kids on a daily basis, it's one of the hardest things about this internship. My wife Maria can understand why I am gone, although I miss her very much as well and I know it has been very hard on her, but my little daughter doesn't really understand why "going to work" means I have to leave her for nearly a week at a time. Maria tells me that there are days she wanders around the house looking under closed doors calling out my name, and I often have to choke back tears when she tells me this. I know it affects my daughter because I have stopped recieving the endless flow of sloppy kisses that I used to get nearly every day we were together. Those kisses are what fuels a father, in a way, and I really hope that she will forget about my being gone so much when the internship ends.

3 comments:

Laci said...

well if it means anything to ya, i cry everytime you talk about your family because I know it's so very hard on all of you. Keep up the great work!

Emerald Lemmons said...

It's ironic that the hardest things about this life are what makes it so exciting--the time, the traveling, the distance. On one hand, you want to jump at every opportunity to ride the job everywhere it will take you, but on the other you can't fully enjoy it for missing the people you leave behind. Like Laci, my heart just breaks for you and your family. But hey, it's only, like, three or four more weeks right? And you're doing so well...hang in there!

Cheryl said...

Gary -- I can absolutely promise you your daughter will not remember your absence. She won't remember it at Christmas let alone next summer. That said, I do understand completely how you feel. The summer I wrote my dissertation I remained in Abilene but was working very long hours away from Michael who was only 18 months old. I often bemoaned that one reason I had chosen teaching over full-time administration was so I'd have more time with him and yet here I was away from him during almost all his waking hours. Michael's dad reminded me that for the rest of Michael's life I'd have more flexibility and freer summers because I spent this one working so hard, and Michael would never remember that one. HE doesn't. And now he's 16 and spends most of his waking hours away! Your children are beautiful and you have a beautiful family. I loved seeing them this week when you came by the office. You're doing well, and doing good. God bless. cb