Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Photojournal: April 26

Well, I shot some more bands this week for my art project, and I also shot several assignments for the schools creative services project. I documented the rehearsals for a concert collaberation between the universities theatre department, 10 alumni, and the local philharmonic orchestra. I also shot some photos of a climbing wall the campus Outdoor club brought in on friday. For now, I have some photos of the bands, Death by Space Laser and Streets of Simon Lee (both on myspace, you should check them out), and the rock wall. I still have to organize the concert shots, and will try to get a few up here. As a side note,the band shots are in black and white because I was trying out a new photoshop plug-in that simulates various film-stocks. These photos are supposed to replicate Tri-X, with some added contrast for fun.







The first two photos are of Darby Hewitt (and his hands), guitar player for Death by Space Laser. The third is the hands of Dylan Wands, drummer for the band. You can visit the bands myspace page here:
  • Death by Space Laser





  • These are of the drummer, Benjamin Fikes, and bass player, Blake Earnhart, of another local band named Streets of Simon Lee. You can link to the here:

  • Streets of Simon Lee
  • Both bands were very good, and I enjoyed the show. I hope you will visit their site and check them out.




    These last two are actually from the band I shot last week, named Guiaconda (sp?). I liked them in black and white so I figured I would repost them and see what others thought. I did not get any more info on the band so I cannot provide a link or names right now.






    I figured I would add this at the end if anyone (anyone?, anyone? anyone?) actually reads this. I am tired. I think that I am getting so caught up in the end of the semester crunch that it is affecting my work. I haven't felt particularly strong about anything I have shot lately, and I can see it when I look at my photos.
    I did shoot some video of a track meet in a town a couple of hours away. I feel like I have some stuff I can work with, but again I don't feel to strongly about it or can't get excited about working on it. Even at the meet, I really missed my family (at this point I had only seen my children a few hours in the last 3 days) and wanted to be home rather than two hours away getting sunburnt (again) and struggling with video/audio issues. This job is hard on relationships and families. Talking to a local professional only backed that up, he gave me some good advice, but could only confirm for me that the road ahead will be rocky. I am thankful I have such a supportive and loving wife; however that doesn't take away the feeling I have everytime I leave the house and my daughter cries and holds her arms out for me. I have seen that too much lately. I am not sure if this blog is the place to put all this but I need to vent somewhere.

    2 comments:

    Dom and Trey said...

    Gary,

    Yeah, the video business isn't the best on family either...Well, at least the LA life. But you really have talent and God will reward you. If He's given you this ability and passion to pursue photography he will take care of you and your relationships. Don't get discouraged.

    Rachel said...

    Gary, GREAT band shots. I especially like the first three. I would frame them and hang them up. =)I love the detail, the angles and the way I can feel what they're playing.