Monday, December 18, 2006

My Exploding brain!!

I am having one of those moments right now when I really want to create something or express myself in some way but I have not focus, and and unsure of what to do. So I thought I would write a little bit of the blog to help me out. I get this way every once in awhile and usually it happens in the middle of the night and I just lay there staring at my ceiling thinking of all the great things I could be doing if I would just get out of bed. I feel like my brain will explode if I don't do something. But when I get out of bed things just don't seem to work out like they did in my mind. I start to wonder if taking photos of all the doorknobs in my house was really a good idea and wonder how I came up with the idea. But sometimes, and only on rare occaisions I produce something worth keeping. Such as the time I found myself sitting in a dark room with my camera's shutter open for 30 seconds using a flashlight to "paint" the light onto some flowers I had bought Maria that day. The photos were really good, and if I hadn't lost them when my laptop hard drive crashed last year I would post them online. I guess the whole point of this has been to let someone else know that sometimes my idiotic creative urges aren't so idiotic. Maybe sometimes I just need to reach out, regardless of whether anyone else is reaching out. It's that act of trying to find a way to communicate satisfies my creative soul I guess. Does anyone else ever have these moments of cretive need? I can't be the only one.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I hear you. I often find myself awake in bed thinking of creative things to do. I feel compelled to get up and do something. I started digital scrapbooking. It lets me release that creative energy. While it stoped the urges, I now find myself awake in bed thinking of a picture I could scrapbook. So, I didn't solve the problem, only redirect the energy.

Mark M. Hancock said...

An infant doesn't immediately run. We must all learn to walk first. Each step is unstable and unsure at first. With time, we build confidence and learn to trust ourselves and our abilities. After many steady steps, we can run.

Photojournalism is the same. It's a series of one unsteady image after the next until our images are able to run around the world in the blink of an eye.

Mark M. Hancock said...

An infant doesn't immediately run. We must all learn to walk first. Each step is unstable and unsure at first. With time, we build confidence and learn to trust ourselves and our abilities. After many steady steps, we can run.

Photojournalism is the same. It's a series of one unsteady image after the next until our images are able to run around the world in the blink of an eye.

Anonymous said...

Understandable. But know that you've been blessed with a lot of talent! Hang in there and trust in God and in yourself!