Thursday, September 07, 2006

Portfolio Review

Yesterday I went to the local paper, The Abilene Reporter News, and had my portfolio reviewed by their photo editor, Robin Larson. I enjoyed the review and talking with a professional in the business. I was really impressed by Larson, especially when I found out that she went to a pretty prestigous Photo J school and had some incredible instructors. As for my portfolio, it fared pretty well. She wasn't the harshest critique I have ever had, but she flat out cut several photos pretty quickly and discussed with me why some of them were borderline. It was nice to hear some positive critiques as well. I can remember about three or four years ago (yes I have been in school that long already) when I had my work reviewed by another Reporter News editor, Matthew Minard, and left with maybe one keeper. So for me, to walk out of the paper with most of my portfolio intact was a good feeling.
Portfolio reviews can be rough, especially when the reviewer pretty much rejects everything you have and you feel like you are starting over. Yet that is necessary, and sometimes those are the best critiques.
For me the challenge will be twofold: To replace the weaker photos in my portfolio and to not feel too confident in the ones I am keeping. I personaly strive to be humble about my work, I don't want to get overconfident as that makes for a weak photographer (and a weak person as well in my book). I should walk away from a mostly positive review the same way I do from a negative one, with renewed vigor for my work and a sincere desire to better myself and my craft. I am unsure of what the future holds for my family and I right now, but I know that I will keep shaping myself into a better and better photographer and hopefully will find steady work as a result.

2 comments:

Michael said...

Just passing through, thought I'd leave a comment.

Portfolio reviews are always tricky. You'll never get anyone to say the same thing, because everyone has a different opinion of what makes a good photo.

During my last portfolio review at a summer workshop I had one photographer tell me I just needed to replace a few images and my portfolio would be strong. Another told me I need to take a hard look at what I've shot over the last few years and do a complete re-edit of my portfolio. I've been working in newspapers more than four years and sometimes I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing.

Do you work for the university paper? You should post more photos on your blog. I'd be interested in seeing how your daily work looks.

Anonymous said...

Hey dude I like your blog. Good stuff on the balloons, and thanks for the kind words. Keep on trucking.